This bespoke Ship Handling Course is designed for seafarers assigned navigational watch duties onboard ships. The course essentially covers most of the important principles and techniques on how to safely and efficiently handle a vessel in common situations.
Aim and Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course, the delegates should be able to gain comprehensive understanding on how to effectively maintain control of a ship when maneuvering in open and confined waters, docking, undocking, anchoring, and in time of emergencies in restricted visibility.
This course is intended to meet the basic training requirements for personnel involved in handling ships, The course provides the delegates with theoretical guidance and hands on practical experience in handling specific ships in a variety of conditions using a Full Mission Ship handling Simulator.
- Classroom lectures will provide the necessary theoretical background for the practical exercises.
- Particular items dealt with will be illustrated either by including them as part of an exercise or by separate simulator demonstration
- The exercises increase in complexity as trainees become familiar with the maneuvering characteristics of the ship model and its response to the engine and helm in various conditions
- Trainees are expected to make use of effective bridge procedures, to comply with COLREG 1972 and to observe principles of keeping a navigational watch as set out in STCW 95, regulation VIII/2, section A-VIII/2, B-VIII/2 and B-I/12.
The course shall be a blend of interactive classroom instruction and discussion followed by realistic practical exercises on a full mission Ship handling simulator.
- STCW ’78 as amended
- Minimum of secondary school certificate for intending seafarers
- Relevant diploma certificate from recognized institutions
- University degree from recognized institutions
- Seafarers without formal education but who intend to become deck officers
- Knowledge of English (speak read & write)
The course is open to all seafarers with or without ship handling experience.
5 days – Classroom/Simulator
The simulator training will be conducted at the Hudson Trident Training Center (HTTC) located at No 6, Shaffi Sule Street, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos State, Nigeria.